Compared to a few decades ago, dentistry has advanced to include new procedures which help to transform the feel and look of a patient’s teeth. The dentistry field branches into various kinds of specializations, including Cosmetic and General Dentistry. One of the frequently asked questions is, “What is the main difference between the two?” Understanding the difference between the two types of dentists can assist you to determine which service provider is ideal for you.
No two dentists are created equal, although they might have earned the same DDS or DMD degree. This implies that whether your dentist focuses on cosmetic or general dentistry, they are better placed to treat all your oral health problems! Read on to find out the roles performed by a cosmetic and general dentist and make an informed choice while scheduling your next dental appointment.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is a collection of dental procedures specifically designed to enhance the appearance of your smile. A cosmetic dentist is more focused on offering treatments that can make your teeth look brighter, whiter, and acquire a more natural appearance. Cosmetic dentistry aims at giving you a bright smile.
What Services Does a Cosmetic Dentist Provide?
If you want a sparkling, beautiful smile it is highly recommended that you see a cosmetic dentist. A qualified cosmetic dentist will not only offer procedures required to give you the best smile ever, but he will explain why such procedures are required.
Here are some of the different procedures that can a cosmetic dentist can use to beautify your smile:
- Dental Crowns: Cosmetic dental crowns are caps that are put on top of your damaged teeth. They are used to cover, protect and restore the shape or size of your teeth when fillings don’t completely solve the problem.
- Teeth Whitening: Also known as “teeth bleaching”, this cosmetic dentistry procedure can whiten and brighten your teeth from staining or discoloration. It can be done at home or in a dental office, but you should get your teeth bleached by an experienced cosmetic dentist.
- Porcelain Veneers: These are thin ceramic coverings attached to the front part of the teeth to enhance their appearance and thus beautify your smile.
- Dental exams and cleaning: According to the American Dental Association, you should visit our dentist at least twice a year to obtain regular cleaning and examinations. That’s what a cosmetic dentist can help you with to improve your smile.
What is General Dentistry?
General dentistry is a branch of dentistry that focuses on oral health issues associated with discomfort, dental pain, and oral hygiene. General dentists are typically the primary oral healthcare providers for all people, regardless of their age. They don’t focus on a specific aspect of dental practice but instead offer a wide range of services.
What Services Does a General Dentist Provide?
General dentists play a major role in preventing infections and helping people maintain good oral dental health. They evaluate, diagnose, prevent and treat diseases associated with the oral cavity, as well as maintain the appearance and function of your teeth. Here are some services that a general dentist can help you with to improve your dental health:
- Preventative Services
Ideally, what a general dentist does is prevent infections or diseases. With long-term dental health goals in perspective, we teach our patients how to take good care of their teeth at home through nutrition and proper oral hygiene.
2. Restorative Services
Restorative dentistry services mostly concentrate on restoring or repairing damaged teeth. Restorative procedures include root canals, dental implants, and filling cavities. Their goal is to restore the appearance and function of your teeth.
3. Overall Dental Health
A general dentist is concerned with your total oral health from gum disease, hygiene to chronic ailments like heart disease, or diabetes, they can advise you on how to improve your dental health.
Misconception about General and Cosmetic Dentistry
There are several misconceptions and myths that surround cosmetic and general dentistry procedures that hinder people from understanding the real truth about them. Even when it comes to most cosmetic dentistry procedures, there are several misconceptions that force patients to make uninformed choices and assumptions. Let us discuss some of the most common myths about cosmetic and general dentistry to help you out:
1. Cosmetic dentistry procedures are super expensive: Most patients avoid scheduling cosmetic dentistry procedures due to the presumed high-cost factor. It is crucial to note that not all procedures are equal and there are various rates for every procedure. For more information, read our post on the most affordable cosmetic dentistry procedures here.
2. Cosmetic dental procedures are for aesthetics only: Probably due to the addition of the word “cosmetic”, many people assume that the procedures are only meant to improve the appearance of your mouth and face. The truth is that cosmetic dentistry not only improves your oral health but also treats certain conditions like temporomandibular joint (TMJ) problems.
3. Bleeding gums after brushing or flossing is normal: Just because bleeding after flossing or brushing is more common doesn’t imply that it’s normal and can be ignored. General dentistry isn’t about your teeth alone but revolves around periodontal health. If you are having a bleeding gum problem, kindly schedule an appointment with your Murfreesboro dentist.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Dentist Today
While both general and cosmetic dentistry overlap each other, you should visit a dentist depending on your specific needs rather than just a referral. If you have been experiencing general dental health or cosmetic problems with your teeth, Dr. Fitzgerald is your go-to dentist in Murfreesboro TN.
At Fitzgerald Dentistry, we offer both general and cosmetic dentistry procedures at competitive rates. Dr. Fitzgerald is an experienced family and cosmetic dentist who will be glad to assist you and your family regain attractive looking and healthy teeth.
During your initial consultation, we will examine your dental health and learn more about your dental goals and needs. Contact Fitzgerald’s Dentistry office to book your helpful and informative appointment today.